Did you Know that Corfu?
Did you Know that Corfu?
Magical Corfu floats proudly in the glistening Ionian Sea luring in enthusiastic travellers to explore and discover all that it hides. Corfu is old, Corfu is new, Corfu is charming and captivating as well as trendy and hip! Corfu is an all-in-one holiday destination that everybody must experience at least once. If you don’t take our word for it, read and find out more about Corfu!
Did you know that....?
1. That Corfu is also called Kerkyra?
2. According to mythology, Corfu was named after the daughter of Asopos, who was named Kerkyra. Kerkyra was a nymph who Zeus fell in love with and brought to Corfu.
3. Brave Odysseus was found on Corfu’s shores after all the mythical and legendary trials he went through?
4. Brave Odysseus was found on Corfu’s shores after all the mythical and legendary trials he went through?
5. It is the only destination in Greece during the last 100 years where cricket is played?
6. In 1824, Corfu founded the first ever University in the whole of Greece-the Ionian Academy?
7. Corfu pioneered once again and opened the first Philharmonic Orchestra and the School of Fine Arts in Greece?
8. There are 19 in total marching wind bands on the island? Talk about talent! One out of four Corfiots are musically inclined!
9. The British brought tennis to Greece when they founded the first ever tennis club in Corfu in 1896?
10. The scenes of the James Bond movie, For your Eyes Only, was shot in Corfu? True fact!
11. All that Gerald Durrel describes about Corfu in his renowned My Family and Other Animals is completely and utterly true?
12. Corfu and Sisley are the only two countries throughout Europe where the delicious Kumquat fruit grows?
13. The island’s landscape is blanketed with more than 3 million olive trees, and still counting?
14. Corfu is home to more than 6000 kinds of wildflowers? Over 55 are rare orchids not found in other parts of the world!
15. Corfu is home to 115 beaches? You are bound to find the ideal paradise-like bay for you in Corfu as the sheer amount of bays surrounding the island is overwhelming. Looking for a pictorial bay to loosen up? Try Kavos Bay-a blue lagoon made for your eyes only! Or opt for the Channel of Love Beach, a bay ideal for those looking for romance and privacy! The options are endless!
16. The island was under the rule of the Venetians for over 400 years? Then the Romans, French as well as the British took over! No wonder Corfu is such a multi-cultural island!
17. Corfu’s Old Town is one of the most well-preserved medieval towns in the world? No wonder it is a UNESCO Heritage Site!
18. “Corfu is Venice and Naples, a touch of France and more than a dash of England, apart of course from being Greek,” as Countess Flamburiari so well pin pointed?
19. There are 37 Churches standing in Corfu Town? The most renowned of course is Saint Spyridon, celebrated for its Venetian architecture. The church is named after the island’s Patron Saint, who saved and protected Corfu and its people from dangers. The bell tower of the church is the highest point of the island and visible wherever you stand.
20. Corfu’s famous Spianada Square, is not only one of the largest-sized squares in the Balkans but was also named after the Italian word, Spianare? Spianare in Italian means to flatten or level out! At present, the square plays a major role to the islander’s lives. Major events, concerts and cricket games are held at the square through the year!
21. Achilleion Palace was inspired by the Greek hero Achilles? Empress of Austria Elisabeth of Bavaria (Sissy), who built the summer palace in 1890, was fascinated by Corfu and made it her personal haven. Sissy’s obsession with beauty is evident when visiting the palace and its gardens, which are covered with sculptures.
22. Mon Repos Palace is believed to have been built right on top of Corfu’s ancient city kingdom? The awe-inspiring palace lies on the hilltop of Analipsis hill in Kanoni and was built by a British Commissioner, as a gift to his Corfiot wife in 1826.
23. The Byzantine basilica of Corfu’s Paleopolis was built before 450 A.D.? Excavations revealed that the quaint palace was built over the ancient ruins of a Roman site.
24. San Giacomo, the first opera house and theatre hall of Modern Greece is Corfu’s Town Hall?
25. Corfu’s Old Castle has two peaks soaring in to the sky? The Byzantine fort was built to protect the islanders from enemy raids. Its sheer size is a sight for soar eyes and a must-see!
26. The island’s New Castle is much smaller in size than the Old Castle? The two-storey New Castle was initially constructed by the Venetians in 1577, which also created a moat between the fortress and Avrami Hill in order to make it unconquerable!
27. On the highest peak of the island, high on the mountain peaks, lays the most impressive fortress of all, Angelokastro (the Castle of Angels)? The amazing fortress was indestructible at the time and remains as one of the most impressive Byzantine castles throughout Greece!
28. That the Venetians’ 17th century Shipyard still stands intact on Gouvia Beach? Impressive, right?
29. The Ottoman Empire never succeeded in capturing the island? This explains why Corfu’s culture is so diverse, cultural and influenced by the Venetians, Romans, British and French!
30. It has been a long time tradition to throw pots through windows on Easter Saturday? The higher the building the better the effect! Thought to mention it since Easter is round the corner!
31. Throughout Easter week, music fills the air and streets of Corfu creating a feeling like no other in the world?
32. It took the French Royalty 7 years to complete Liston, a fabulous copy of Rue de Rivoli in Paris? The building was initially built to protect Spianada Square, which lies right in front of it! This is the perfect spot to enjoy a Greek Coffee and watch the world go by!
So there you have it! A mini guide of random bits and pieces you need to know before jetting off to Corfu, the jewel island of the Ionian! Happy holidaying everyone!
Please log in to add a comment Register!
The island of Corfu has established itself as one of the most popular and preferred holiday destinations in the world. The reason for its immense success is quite simple. The island is a blend of the old and the new, mystery and mythology, natural beauty and ancient fortresses! Holidaying in Corfu is surely an unforgettable experience! Enjoy your stay.
A touch of History - New ... Continue reading
The hottest holiday destination in Europe is the cosmopolitan island of Cyprus, and more precisely the incredible city of Limassol. There are truly few beaches as stunning and wonderful as the picturesque golden coastline and azure-like waters of Limassol. Tourists from all corners of the earth flock to Limassol year after year to laze around in the sizzling sun and visit the plethora of ... Continue reading
In antiquity, Paphos was known as the thriving cultural and financial hub of the Mediterranean. Back then, the city used to be the capital of the island of Cyprus. Paphos is the gem of the island in more ways than one, as the city has some of the richest archaeological regions originating to the Roman Empire, it boasts of special attractions and famed landmarks, its natural landscapes are ... Continue reading
Cyprus has long been an attractive tourist destination, mainly because of its stunning coastline and cultural heritage attracting visitors by the thousands all year round. Its most recent tourist resort, Protaras, has captured the hearts of many, and has become extremely popular through recent years. Protaras is far more family-friendly than its neighbour Ayia Napa; known to all as the party hub ... Continue reading
What image pops in your head when thinking of Mykonos Island? Is it the sandy coastline and shimmering azure waters of the Aegean Sea or the quaint cobble-stoned alleyways decorated with blossoming bougainvilleas and the traditional Cycladic whitewashed homes? Is it the breathtaking view of the sun setting into the horizon or the ragged limestone landscape with the majestic-like windmills? Is it ... Continue reading
Mykonos is known as the cosmopolitan hub of Greece, boasting with attractions, like its stunning beaches, charming villages and vibrant nightlife, plethora of chapels and interesting museums. Some of the most impressive sights every visitor must see are described beneath. All that remains to be said is enjoy every single moment you spend on this whitewashed Cycladic Island as it is a ... Continue reading
During ancient times, the city of Paphos was the island’s capital for more than six hundred years. The city was also home to the most thriving city-kingdoms of that time. Its glory has not faded, as Paphos remains the cultural hub of Cyprus, welcoming tourists from all corners of the world, who seek to explore the city’s attractions, timeless villages and stunning coastline ... Continue reading
It goes without saying that Mykonos is the ultimate holiday destination of our times. When in Mykonos, eager visitors get to explore cultural sights, local landmarks like the towering Windmills, attractive historic structures like the 16th century Panagia Paraportianni Church, but best of all, Mykonos is the island to sit back, soak in the Mediterranean sun by the sea during the day and ... Continue reading
1. Looking for glamour, glitter and extravagance? The first Greek island you must check off your list is captivating Mykonos! It’s a trendy, hip and cosmopolitan island that attracts travellers like bees to honey. Mykonos has been under the spotlight since the early 60s when the celebrity world first stepped foot on its sun-kissed coastlines and made it their second home ... Continue reading
Have you ever imagined of a place where the bright blue skies meet the emerald blue waters of the sea, perfectly complementing each other as if united? Have you ever dreamt of a place where tradition meets modern times, or where natural beauty co-exists with sun-bleached ruins and tradition? There is a place in the midst of the Mediterranean, which many call home or utopia, named Cyprus ... Continue reading
Among the so many diverse highlights of Rhodes Island, here is just a handful of what NOT to miss when holidaying on the Greek island! Rhodes is a captivating tourist destination that offers so much more than a typical beach and sightseeing holiday. Read on and spice up your holiday in Rhodes and try something a tad bit different! #1. Valley of the Butterflies ... Continue reading
So the time has come for the bride and groom to walk down the aisle. The wedding bells are ringing calling all the guests to enter the church and the show is about to begin! You have never been to a Greek wedding, let alone a Big Fat Traditional Greek Wedding! You are in for a real surprise! Here are some pointers as what to expect: ... Continue reading
Did you say you are going to Mykonos? But why??? Haven’t you heard Mykonos is nothing like you imagine? 1. The sun is always shining. Imagine having to put up with all-year-round sunshine and bright blue skies? Annoying right! A bit of rain please! Just a drop! 2. Don’t let me get started on the beaches! It’s so irritating having to choose between party hubs beaches, posh ... Continue reading
Looking for the perfect spot to pop the big question? Saying these simple words, ‘Will you marry me?’ is a memory that both of you will cherish for the remainder of your lives together. Wherever or however you choose to ask your lover to become your wife will mark your life for good. Proposing while on vacation will add to the magic so we are here to help you out! These intoxicatingly ... Continue reading
Some call me crazy but I prefer to see myself as a tad spiritual, so bare with me just a bit longer and I will explain what I am all about. I have recently entered the world of astrology and the zodiac signs and as an amateur zodiac lover I have found that certain traits really do represent each individual according to their zodiac sign. Some go overboard of course, and tend to advice their ... Continue reading
- Must-See in Corfu Greece
- Must See in Limassol Cyprus
- Must-See in Paphos
- This and That in Protaras, Cyprus
- Escape to Dreamy Mykonos island
- Must-Visit in Mykonos island, Greece
- Paphos: The Cultural Hub of Cyprus
- Mykonos - A Hot Holiday Destination
- 10 Reasons to Add Cyprus on your 2015 to visit list
- Top 10 Reasons to Tour the Greek islands
- 10 Must-Visit Landmarks in Rhodes
- 21 Things to Expect at a Big Fat Greek Wedding!
- 26+1 Reasons You Should Never Hop to Mykonos
- Did you Know that Corfu?
- Will You Marry Me?
- Zodiac Greek Island List